跳到主要內容區塊

Center of Taiwan Christian History Archives 

 

The Historical Exhibition Hall

 

Scholarship's photo

Financial support from Taipei’s Suang-Lien Church led to the completion in spring 2008 of the Historical Exhibition Hall at the Taiwan Theological College and Seminary. The Historical Exhibition Hall aims not only to curate and protect the valuable history of the college and the church in Taiwan, but also to enhance the renewal and growth of church pastors and lay leaders through historical education and presentations.

The Hall currently has three exhibition areas:

  1. The History of the Taiwan Theological College and Seminary. A permanent exhibition on the historical development, institutional layout, campus life and missional activities of the college.
  2. Historical Exhibition on the 228 Incident. The 228 Incident was a public anti-Nationalist uprising that began on February 27, 1947 which was violently suppressed by the Nationalist Kuomintang (KMT) party. Thirty-thousand civilians, intellectuals and public leaders were killed during the massacre, and the incident marked the beginning of the Kuomintang's White Terror, which saw thousands more imprisoned, killed or “disappeared.” Thanks to a donation by Ms Ng Bi-chu, this precious collection preserves the memory of those who died during the White Terror and reminds visitors to “forgive but never forget.”
  3. Special Exhibition Area. Contains exhibitions on special historical figures and topics.



 

The Church Historical Archives

 

2

The main goal of the Church Historical Archives is to collect and preserve historical materials related to Christianity in Taiwan. Due to the current limits on space and human resources, priority has been given to early materials and publications, as well as historical documents relating to the churches of northern Taiwan.

With the assistance of Rev. Chi Yuan-Te, Prof. Chen Chia-sheh, and Rev. Lim Chiong-hua, who helped in the early collection of materials, the Archive was formally established by Prof. Dr Cheng Yang-en in 1994. At that time, the Archive began a more systematic process for obtaining archival material. The current collections include early baptismal records, works by early missionaries, church anniversary publications, Romanized prints, English mission periodicals, and other related materials. Moreover, there are valuable collections regarding the 228 Incident donated by Ms Ng Bi-chu as well as the writings of Elder Li Chun-seng.
 

4

In August 2007, financial support by the family of Rev. Lim Chong-Iau allowed for the provision of a more professional, modernized building for the Archive. The Archive now contains three sections: open shelves, closed shelves, and a vault, which allow for the better use and preservation of the Archive’s precious historical materials. Church members are always invited to donate relevant historical materials to the Archive, so that we may preserve the rich historical memories of Taiwan’s Christians.

Opening Hours
Monday to Friday: 8:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m.; 1:30 p.m.–4:30 p.m.
(Closed on Tuesdays 11:00 a.m.–1:00 p.m.)
Saturdays & Sundays: Closed


Images:
Top: Lee Ruei-han, who was “disappeared” by KMT forces following the 228 Incident in 1947.
Center: College founder Dr. George Leslie Mackay and his family.
Bottom: Dr. Mackay and his team offering dental help among the local Taiwanese.